Papua New Guinea’s topography is varied to say the least. We went from sea level to 7,000’ when we visited the Highlands, which had a ruggedly green, mountainous terrain. We stayed in two different locations in the Highlands, exploring both Mount Hagen and Tari.
Watch the video above, and see below for more!
Mount Hagen is at 5,000 feet and one of the larger towns. The town center has a grocery story, several hotels, and large daily market. This market is a perfect way to not only understand more about the local products of the region but to witness a slice of daily social life, as well.
During our stay in Tari we visited several tribes and watched (and even in participated) in some local rituals and dances. A Sing Sing is a typical tribal dance and is a spectacle to behold with the men donning elaborate feather headdresses, painting their faces, and shouting in unison as they danced.
A visit with the Wigmen!
A visit with the Wigmen allowed us to learn more about the rite of passage for young men in the community. They grow their hair into mushroom-like bowls that later become wigs and important status symbols in the community. This experience really opened our eyes to the discipline in the social structure of the communities in the Highlands.
In Part 4, next Monday: The Sepik.
For Ian Livingston’s recent series on Papua New Guinea, start here. For more on guided travel in Papua New Guinea, visit USTOA.com. For more on the specific itineraries and guides from Kelley’s video, check out swaindestinations.com.
Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide, eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on orders over $12 for a minimum of one year on qualifying food purchases with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Earn 5X points on Lyft rides through March 2022. That’s 3X points in addition to the 2X points you already earn on travel.
The comments on this page are not provided, reviewed, or otherwise approved by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered. Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.
Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.