Sometimes the most authentic food is found at the local joints—maybe on the side of the road or down a back alley. Other times, the tastiest and most authentic cuisine is found at top-end hotels. I found both of these scenarios to be true in Thailand. My stay at the Four Seasons Chiang Mai proved that this hotel is committed to sharing the local food traditions with its guests.
With a working rice paddy on the grounds, the rice dishes were unbelievable—the flavor, the texture, the lightness, and that perfect amount of stickiness. It was like eating rice for the first time! That’s not to say the homemade noodle dishes—like the one I ordered with fresh prawns and vegetables—were not equally memorable. Or that breakfast spread that made me wish I could go on eating forever.
As the sun lowers, the property flickers under the evening glow, illuminating the moon and the iridescent pool. And just beside the pool, the cocktail bar is straight out of London or New York City, with lively music, a cocktail list that rivals that of the best NYC bar, and handcrafted aperitivi to whet our palates.
Just wait: There’s more eating to be done! The outdoor Italian restaurant, Terraces, is just that: an al fresco terrace that looks over the lily-padded pond at the center of the property. Lobster pasta, Australian Wagyu beef and a wine selection that will knock your socks off—this was the culminating meal of our stay.
I hate to admit it, but we ate even more than all that. See why in the video above!
In part 5: One day as a rice farmer in Thailand.
For more on the Four Seasons Chiang Mai, check out fourseasons.com/chiangmai.
Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- Enjoy benefits such as a $50 annual Ultimate Rewards Hotel Credit, 5x on travel purchased through Chase Ultimate Rewards®, 3x on dining and 2x on all other travel purchases, plus more.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
The comments on this page are not provided, reviewed, or otherwise approved by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered. Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.