We have a lot of credit card content on this site (see our main credit card page, with all the basics, here). Of course, that’s because a good travel credit card can help you in your travels. Picking the right credit card for you, therefore, can make all the difference.
Well, guess what? I recently appeared in an ABC7 Eyewitness News segment with Carlos Granda called “Smart savings: How to pick the best credit card for airline miles, points, cash back.” As you might guess, it’s all about how to find the right credit card for you. You can check out my segment on ABC7 here.
More from the segment on ABC7
Here’s the transcript of my part from the accompanying story:
“Anyone who knows me will tell you: I’m pretty frugal. My friends and family say it’s actually beyond frugal, I’m cheap. But I just like to get my money’s worth. So when it comes to credit cards – I like to look at every credit card offer to see if I can benefit. And I’m passing my knowledge on.”
“Start with your interests. If you like to travel, the sign-up bonus is the most important thing to look for in any card. Most airline cards usually offer bonuses of 50,000, sometimes 100,000 miles. ‘Fifty-thousand miles will get you at least two tickets to the East Coast if you can do it off-peak,’ said travel expert John DiScala, better known as ‘Johnny Jet.'”
“DiScala travels the world and writes about it on his website, figuring out ways to save people money and make flying more pleasant. ‘Sometimes the credit card companies are offering these really incredible deals that give you almost $700 in travel if you can pay it off every month,’ DiScala said.”
“And that’s where it gets tricky – paying it off every month. Because, if you don’t, the charges start adding up.”
Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- Enjoy new benefits such as a $50 annual Ultimate Rewards Hotel Credit, 5X points on travel purchased through Chase Ultimate Rewards®, 3X points on dining and 2X points on all other travel purchases, plus more.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.
The comments on this page are not provided, reviewed, or otherwise approved by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered. Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.
Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.