RELATED: Best Credit Cards For Cruises
“We invented the concept of modern river cruising when we launched in 1997; then we reinvented ocean cruises and became the ‘World’s Best Ocean Cruise Line’ in our first year of operation, as well as every year since then. Now, in creating ‘the thinking person’s expedition,’ we are perfecting polar expedition cruising, and we will usher in a new era of comfortable exploration in the heart of North America,” said Torstein Hagen, Chairman of Viking. “Our guests are curious explorers. They want to continue traveling with us to familiar and iconic destinations, but they would also like to travel further. We began as Viking River Cruises; then we evolved into Viking Cruises with the addition of ocean cruises; today we stand singularly as Viking, offering destination-focused voyages on more than 20 rivers, five oceans and five Great Lakes, visiting 403 ports in 95 countries and on all seven continents.”
Both vessels will carry 378 passengers each in 189 staterooms (the ships are still under construction) and will feature not only the beautiful Scandinavian interior design that guests are accustomed to seeing on Viking’s existing vessels, but also innovative exterior design elements (straight bows, longer hulls and state-of-the-art fin stabilizers) that will help make the journey over rough waters as smooth and calm as possible.
Want to cruise on Viking or any other cruise line? If you’d like to speak to an agent, we’ve partnered with Cruise Planners—a top-rated travel agency—to help you plan your perfect trip. Contact Mike Gelman (1-800-724-5868) and tell him Johnny Jet sent you.
Because expedition voyages are so very different from river and ocean cruising, the new polar-class vessels are designed to reflect the needs of this type of travel. Of course, the ships will still offer the fine dining, Nordic-style spa and gorgeous, light-filled public spaces that both their river and ocean vessels have, but Octantis and Polaris will also feature some really cool elements.
As part of Viking’s commitment to creating a ‘thinking person’s expedition’, guests can expect lots of opportunities for education and enrichment, both on-board and on-shore. There will be 25 experts joining each journey, like biologists, botanists, oceanographers, ornithologists, polar experts and researchers. There will be daily briefings and lectures about the destinations and on-shore, guests can participate in fieldwork (from identifying migratory patterns of birds to collecting samples with scientists).
So, it’s exciting times ahead as Viking enters one of the fastest-growing segments in the cruise industry and we’ll definitely be following along!
*Rack rates start at $1,250 per person per night (the cheapest rate as compared to other expedition vessels).
Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.
The comments on this page are not provided, reviewed, or otherwise approved by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered.
Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.