While jetlagged the other night in Germany, I was playing around with the Dark Sky app when I discovered, at the very bottom of a weather report, the words “TIME MACHINE.” Of course I tapped them, and boy was I pleasantly surprised. You can see projections of what the localized weather is going to be in the future (I stopped scrolling after year 3100 because that’s just crazy talk). Even more interesting with this feature, I thought, is the fact that you can go back in time to see the weather on the day you were born. Or any date, for that matter.
To use it, you pull up Dark Sky and type in a city (if you don’t want to let the app use your current location) and choose a date in the time machine. How many years you can go back seems to depend on the destination. Norwalk, Connecticut (where I’m from), for example, only went back to 1946 so I couldn’t look up the weather on my dad’s birthday there. But for each date that is available, Dark Sky provides a lot of information. In addition to the temperature and weather conditions, you can also see wind speed, humidity, dew point, UV index, cloud cover, and pressure.
One other cool feature: When you’re looking up the weather on the day you were born, the app also tells you the number of days that have passed between that date and the date you’re using the app! This means you can see how old you are in days. This feature is what my friend Leo Laporte found most interesting when I talked about Dark Sky on his The Tech Guy show. Leo looked up his birthday and found he was just shy of 23,000 days. Pretty cool, eh?
Want to see the weather on the day you were born?
Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide, eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on orders over $12 for a minimum of one year on qualifying food purchases with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Earn 5X points on Lyft rides through March 2022. That’s 3X points in addition to the 2X points you already earn on travel.
The comments on this page are not provided, reviewed, or otherwise approved by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered. Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.
Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.