With the fall and winter holidays coming up fast, the questions about when to buy holiday flights keep pouring in. I’ve already updated my annual posts on booking Thanksgiving and Christmas flights, so if you missed them, you can check them out below:
But more help booking holiday flights can’t hurt, right? Flight search tool Hipmunk published its own guide to buying flights for the Thanksgiving and Christmas holidays, which you can check out here. Hipmunk used its “holiday flight data to find the best time to book for maximum savings” and “break down every possible date combination so you can make the smartest holiday travel plans.”
Hipmunk identified early September as the best time to find cheap holiday flights, but if you haven’t booked yet, hope isn’t lost. “Don’t freak out if you miss[ed] the early September date,” Hipmunk writes in the post. “Historically, Thanksgiving flight prices peak mid-October and then dip down again towards Halloween and beginning of November, then rising sharply in the two weeks prior to the holiday. Similarly, Christmastime booking prices see a drop in the two-week window before the holiday, then increasing sharply the week of.”
On Thanksgiving flights
“Departing on Thanksgiving day saves 12 percent when compared to Wednesday, the most-booked departure date,” says Hipmunk. “But no matter when you depart, returning on Sunday has the biggest impact on flight price—increasing median flight booking prices 32 percent.” See the full Thanksgiving flight breakdown here.
On Christmas flights
“The number of possible departure and arrival dates increases with Christmas falling on a Wednesday this year,” writes Hipmunk, “but similar to Thanksgiving, the least expensive flight itinerary is departing on Christmas Day and returning the day after.” See the full Christmas flight breakdown here.
Have your own tip? Email it to email@example.com!
Want to see more tips? Click here for all 1,562!
Want even more travel tips? Sign up here for the Daily Travel Tip newsletter! Enter your email address and check “Daily Travel Tip” to receive Johnny’s best tips in your inbox each day!
If you already subscribe to our weekly newsletter, you can sign up on the same page. Just fill in your email and check “Daily Travel Tip” on the same page. You’ll receive an email with a link to update your JohnnyJet.com preferences. On that page, just click the Daily Travel Tip box and Update Profile.
Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on orders over $12 for a minimum of one year on qualifying food purchases with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Earn 5X points on Lyft rides through March 2022. That’s 3X points in addition to the 2X points you already earn on travel.
The comments on this page are not provided, reviewed, or otherwise approved by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered. Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.
Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.