If you like wine, or to visit wineries when you travel, or to bring souvenirs or gifts home with you, you may know something about the difficulty of flying with bottles of wine. (If you check just a single bottle, use this product to protect it.) And you should know about Alaska Airlines’ Wine Flies Free program.
With Wine Flies Free, Alaska Airlines passengers can check a case of wine (up to 12 bottles) for free on domestic flights to/from 31 U.S. cities, including San Francisco, L.A., Portland, Seattle, and Boise. To take advantage, you must only be a Mileage Plan member (free), connect your member number to your reservation, pack the wine safely (the airline offers help with here), and alert the airline at check-in. The airline has also partnered with The Wine Check to offer co-branded shipping boxes.
For more on the Wine Flies Free program, including the list of participating cities, see this page.
It’s California Wine Month
Did you know that September is California Wine Month? It is! See Visit California’s guide here.
More wine destinations
- 14 Things to Know Before Traveling to Mendoza, Argentina
- One Perfect Day in Sonoma’s West County
- An Inside Look at the Key West Food & Wine Festival
Have your own tip? Email it to firstname.lastname@example.org!
Want to see more tips? Click here for all 1,538!
Want even more travel tips? Sign up here for the Daily Travel Tip newsletter! Enter your email address and check “Daily Travel Tip” to receive Johnny’s best tips in your inbox each day!
If you already subscribe to our weekly newsletter, you can sign up on the same page. Just fill in your email and check “Daily Travel Tip” on the same page. You’ll receive an email with a link to update your JohnnyJet.com preferences. On that page, just click the Daily Travel Tip box and Update Profile.
Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on orders over $12 for a minimum of one year on qualifying food purchases with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Earn 5X points on Lyft rides through March 2022. That’s 3X points in addition to the 2X points you already earn on travel.
The comments on this page are not provided, reviewed, or otherwise approved by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered. Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.
Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.